Follow Jesus closely
Then took they him, and led him, and brought him into the high priest’s house. And Peter followed afar off.
– Luke 22:54
Today there is a widespread practice in social networks: to “follow” or “like” a certain person, their work, or their activity on social channels or pages. There are people who are dedicated to following the ideas, trends, and advice of the new “digital influencers”. But it is very important to consider how positive it is to closely follow another person’s life. Is that kind of person worth following? What is it talking about? What does it do or can it do for you?
Better yet, think for a moment what is the reason you follow Jesus?
Peter promised that he would follow Jesus not only to prison but to death (Luke 22:33). But when danger came both he and the others fled. Peter turned away and followed Jesus at a distance. Like us, in a moment of weakness, he denied the Lord …
When problems threaten us, instead of drawing closer to God we turn away from him. Those times are critical because we open the door to sin. Like Peter, we deny that we know, love, and trust the Lord. Don’t let difficult circumstances take you away from the Lord.
How to Follow Jesus closely
- You really matter to Jesus. Believe that he is close even when you move away …
- Seek the Lord as a true friend.
- Repent and confess everything to the Lord. If you have failed him, remember that he is faithful and just to forgive.
- Even if you are broken, Christ can restore your life and help you become a better version of yourself.
- Give yourself to Jesus with all your heart. Seek it without reservation, in spirit, and truth.
- Following God closely implies seeking and consulting him (Zephaniah 1: 6).
- Set aside time each day to pray, read, and meditate on God’s Word.
- It seems simple, but faithfulness develops in a personal and constant search for Jesus.
Lord, I know I’ve been walking away from You. Please forgive me, my God! Help me because I am small and weak. Make me strong by your grace … Teach me to recognize that I always need you, my beloved Father. May no difficulty or affliction be enough to separate me from you or the certainty of your love. Help me to look for you more every day. In the name of Jesus, amen.