Thrive in the land of your affliction
Text: Genesis 41: 51-52: And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil and all my father’s house. And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.“
The story of Joseph, the son of Jacob, who was governor of Egypt, is well known and has even served as a theme for movies, series, cartoons, and books. Despite his popularity, what many forget is that Joseph’s story would not have been the same if he had not trusted the Lord. Undoubtedly, the life of the “Prince of Egypt” would have been a great misfortune without the presence of the true God. So much suffering and agony would have made him give up everything.
The fact is that, even when all, sold by his brothers abandoned him, betrayed, unjustly imprisoned and forgotten in prison, he knew that God would never leave him. When Joseph named his children, he bore witness to what the goodness and grace of the Lord did in his favor: he could forget past suffering, did not feed the wound against his family, and prospered in the land where he suffered. Dare also to trust God amid problems. You can see and testify about the miracles of God in your life.
Believe today, despite the difficult circumstances:
- Ask God to help you forgive and forget everything you suffered in the past.
- Believing involves fully trusting in God, who is kind and merciful. Trust and wait on God with patience. He does not abandon you even when you are amid afflictions.
- To believe with all your heart, you need to know Jesus on a personal relationship level. Seeks to develop a genuine friendship with Jesus.
- Do not murmur or argue with those who have hurt you. Forgive and bring everything to God in prayer. He is the just judge and can use this affliction to bless many.
- Continue to work and serve God with gratitude. In time He will reward you.
Read here: Rejoice when you are persecuted
Anchor word for Today: You Can Thrive in the land of your affliction
Dear God, you know all the affliction that I have faced. I continue to believe and wait for You and Your miracle. Help me to go through all this by honoring You as your servant Joseph did. Teach me to love and forgive those who have harmed me. Bless me and make me prosper in the land of my affliction so that I can glorify You and always testify of Your goodness and Your immense love. In the name of Jesus, amen.
One year Bible reading plan
Day 24 – Genesis 35-37